Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cleaning out the "junk" drawer

I wasn't planning on blogging tonight.  We had a very busy day and I'm just now sitting down in silence for the first time.  As I was helping Marley Grace open some of her birthday presents from today I started looking for the scissors.  I looked in the drawer that they were supposed to be in only to find that they weren't.  Figures!  I then opened  my over flowing junk drawer to find them stuffed in there between some old matches and a barbie shoe.  I could barely get the drawer closed when I thought to myself, "I've got to clean out this junk drawer, it's full of useless stuff that we don't need."  Don't get me wrong, I love having a junk drawer because it's good to be able to put "random" things that have no place in there from time to time.  But obviously over time it just gets cluttered up with things that we just don't need or don't use anymore.  "JUNK."  Well I finally got the scissors stuffed back into the drawer and I got to thinking about life, my life in particular.  I have a lot of junk that I'm carrying around with me and holding onto that God wants me to clean out.  Things I think I have to have, people I think I have to please, the person I think I have to be.  Again....."junk."  It seems that ever so often I clean this junk out and slowly but surely I let it creep back in causing it to clutter my mind, cause needless anxiety, and get in the way of what's really important. People say it all the time but life is so short.  Just this week an old friend of mine lost someone close to her very unexpectedly.  There's just no time for petty, useless things.  This was just a reminder for me tonight that  I think it's time I cleaned out the junk drawer......again. Good night.
       "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this Kim. I sure have a lot of junk that clutters my heart. . . I like your banner photo. :)

    ReplyDelete