Sunday, August 1, 2010

Word of the day

Dictionary.com defines balance as:  mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.  Since about Sunday of last week I've had this word etched in my brain trying to decide just what it means to me.  I think if you're a mom then you have to know what I'm talking about.  It seems like this great, wonderful thing that  I am steadily trying to achieve. Sometimes I wonder if it's even achievable anymore?  Is it just the season of life that I'm in?  Young, married, involved, 3 children, friends, family, keeping my home, playing with my children, teaching them, and all of those things we have to do as moms.  My job is not unique per say.  Moms everywhere are doing the exact same thing.  It seems that I'm constantly going, going, going from one chore to the next, one birthday party to the next, one doctor visit to the next, and on and on and on.  Let me first clear the air and say that I lOVE this stage of my life.  I am NOT complaining.  In fact I am happier now in my life that I have been in 31 years.  Honestly.  It's when I evaluate my constant to do lists, however, that I wonder if I am balancing it the way I should?  My personality has always been one that leans towards structure and organization.  Quite frankly-- these days it ain't happening so much.  I suppose there is some kind of "balance" in the chaos around here but  sometimes I close my eyes at night when I finally lay down and  I ask myself, "what did I do today?"  I say this with a grin on my face thinking of the week that we've had here at my house. 

I was expecting that it would be any ordinary week.  Vacation is over and the only thing we really had going on was Marley Grace's dental appointment.  And then it happened, Griffin accidentally fell on my moving treadmill and injured himself!  Although thankfully we didn't have to go to the ER this time, we did have to go to Urgent care for all of the burns on his face and body.  HORRIFIC!!!  Yes he's ok now but that is how this week got started.  Moving on to Marley Grace's dental visit that I thought would be routine and no big deal.  WRONG!  Turns out that at the age of 5 she has to have a baby "root canal."  Yep.....sedation and all.  Fun, fun, fun and did I mention that we don't have dental insurance???

 Since Griff was hurt and this was Marley Grace's last official week of summer they both stayed here with me on their normal Thursday which is Mother's day out (which I live for by the way!)  We ran a few errands that  morning and Griff seemed to be feeling better.  Later on they both wanted to go to MeMe and Trapp's for a while so I took them over for a visit and came back home with Maddox.  When my parents brought them home Marley Grace's eye was very puffy!   She ran up to me telling me, "try to guess what happened to my eye momma."  I immediately thought that a) Griff punched her or b) she had been stung by a wasp.  I was right.  A wasp sting!  Right on the eye lid.  Mother and Daddy said it took an hour to calm her down.  My response, "I'm just glad I wasn't there this time."  Hahaha. 

Finally Friday rolled around.  Ahhh Friday, everyone loves Friday right?  Recently I was talking with my workout ladies group and we were discussing Fridays and how for mothers Friday is any other ordinary day!  How does the old saying go?  "A mother's job is never done."  Anyway, after lunch and naps we headed out to the mall before meeting Kevin for supper at China Capital.  Since it's tax-free shopping this weekend I thought I'd pick out some back-to-school stuff for Marley Grace and Griffin.  My goal was 2 stores.  Belk and Gymboree.  I'd even picked out what I wanted from Gymboree online the night before.  How hard could it be right?  Again I'm wrong.  Not this week.  I should've known!  Apparently Griffin's pull-up was giving him problems because I noticed him moving around a lot trying to "fix" something.  When I asked him about the situation he wouldn't really tell me what was going on.  After about 30 minutes of walking down the mall I see a pull up in the floor.  Yes, Griffin's pull up fell off of his body and into the floor for the whole wide world to see.  What does he do?  He picks it up and says as loud as he can, "momma, mine pull up falled off."  I was speechless.  We continued the rest of our journey commando.  Finally I get a call from Kev telling me he's on his way to the restaurant and that we should get ready to meet him soon.  We start heading back to Belk where we parked.  As we walked through I made a stop in the children's section to pick up a shirt and leggings that I'd seen earlier for Marley Grace.  As I picked up the pants and held them up to her to check the length, I looked over my shoulder and the stroller along with Maddox and the bags and my purse are laying in the middle of the floor!!!!!  Griffin had decided to pull down on the handle bar or something crazy that boys do like that, and down goes the stroller.  Luckily there was a kind couple that helped me pick up the stroller and gather my stuff.  Maddox at this point is screaming because she's just been turned upside down not because she's hurt.  She was strapped in the whole time.  I noticed this kind lady that helped me was pregnant and didn't have any other kids with her.  Only her husband.  I hope we didn't scare her!!!  Haha:)

As I type now  it's Sunday night again and I'm still thinking of that term "balance."  The week is about to begin and I'm thinking of what we've got going on and the things that need to be done.  I'm certainly hoping that this week is better than the last but I also know that I have no control over it.  It's just life.  Having balance is just getting enough "good" in everything, being able to look back and smile on the situation and maybe even laugh. When I think of balance I think of the saying that I've heard all of my life, "you need to eat a balanced meal to be healthy."  That means a little of everything right?  Not too much of one thing or too little of another.  Kind of like life huh?  Leaving God in control over my life and my family I know that He will work through me to balance it all out.....even when we have weeks like this past one.  One thing I know  for sure, I can't do it by myself!  Here's to a good week and hoping you have "balance" in your life this week:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment