Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The children who cried wolf

So yesterday it was all I could do just to get my first post to this new blog before I went to bed. Once I accomplished that I felt good about myself so I managed to drift off to sleep thinking about some of the things that I could include on our little blog. One thing I want to do is to write down the funny stuff that the kids do that I know I won't remember next year, much less next week. I want to be able to share them with you but also be able to look back and laugh at them myself.
With that said I'm back to yesterday. Long story very short, I'm trying to complete my 3 mile run on my treadmill when Griff wakes up and Maddox begins fussing. With 5 minutes left to go I decide to put Maddox in the bumbo seat in my room where I am, and let Griff just stand there and talk himself into a good mood. He decides to go into his room and get his pretend machine gun that Nannie and Grandy gave him for Christmas. He brings it into my room and says, "momma, I'm gonna shoot dat wolf," as he walks to the window. He opens the blinds and proceeds to act like he's shooting. I keep on running trying to get finished not really paying him any attention--just glad he's occupied. Meanwhile, he's doing everything he can to get my attention to tell me "momma, dat wolf's dead alweady." Over and over he tells me this as he looks out the window. About this time Marley Grace walks to the window to look out to satisfy him and I hear her wail and begin to scream as she puts her hands over her ears. She does this when she gets upset and scared. She then starts screaming, "mommy, mommy, there really is a wolf I promise!" "Yeah right." I say. "Quit telling one of your stories Marley Grace, it's not nice to tell stories you know. We've talked about this." "No, no" she's screaming, "there really is a wolf, and he's dead." The whole time Griff is saying "see momma, I told ya." It is then that I proceed to get off the treadmill and go see what these two are viewing outside of the bedroom window. To my surprise what they are looking at did in fact look like a dead animal of some sort!!! However, it was an old gray blanket that our dog Pepper had pulled out of her dog house and it was laying across the yard in the oddest position. I reassured them that it was only a blanket and finally they were calm. I got a good laugh and couldn't help but think of the little boy that cried wolf in that old story we've all heard many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment